Read these Frequently Asked Questions to help you in your search. If your question isn't answered here, use the Contact Us page to submit a question.

Can you help me with my pest problem?

I have a pest and don't know how to manage it without pesticides. Can you help me find a solution?

At NCAP, we aim to empower constituents to research and employ alternatives to pesticides. We have created a guide to help you in your quest to manage pests without pesticides! NCAP has limited staff and resources and by researching your own solutions, you save NCAP time and money that we can use to focus on advocating, researching and hosting educational events about alternatives to pesticides. 

Read the pest management guide here.

What products can I use that replace pesticides?

NCAP does not sell products. Much of what we suggest relates to preventing pest problems through Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies and through more ecological solutions. We advise learning about the biology of the pest and approaches that do not rely as much on actual products but more on preventing pest problems. Pest is a relative term. Every organism plays a role in the ecosystem. Understand the role and its importance. ‘Pest’ problems usually result from imbalances that are imposed on a natural system. Plant a wide variety of native flowers, shrubs, and trees to offer year-round sources for pollen and nectar and reduce the need for pesticides. Companion planting-minimizes problems and maximize beneficial insects.

Check out our Pests & Alternatives Resources Page for more information.

Vinegar herbicides and DIY vinegar weed killers may be an option to help mitigate weeds, especially on younger plants.
Read more about Vinegar Herbicides.

I've been exposed to pesticides. What should I do?

We are sorry to hear you experienced drift from a neighbor or were exposed to a pesticide spray. We are not able to provide health or legal advice, but have provided the following information in response to frequent requests. 

You should contact your primary care provider if you experience any ill health affects, including but not limited to nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. For some pesticides, antidotes can be administered. Contact the party responsible and ask what chemicals were used, in some cases more than one pesticide can be used. You should contact your local Department of Agriculture and notify them of your concerns. See below for links to report a pesticide drift or accidental exposure.  

The following is a summary of recommendations from the Oregon Health Authority

  1. Wash off the pesticide.
  2. Warn others in the area.
  3. If an outdoor pesticide release is ongoing-shut all windows and doors and turn of the AC/HVAC system and leave the area. If indoors, leave the building. For either take pets if you can.
  4. Write down what happened.
  5. Report the incident.

In Oregon, for urgent pesticide-related health concerns, call the Oregon Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222 (24 hours a day/seven days a week).

Resources for reporting and filing complaints:

Oregon Pesticide Incident Complaint Form

Washington Investigation and Enforcement Form

Idaho Damage Claim

Montana Compliance and Enforcement

In California, your first contact should be your County Agricultural Commissioner, who enforces pesticide laws and regulations locally.

For more information in Oregon:

Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) website

ODA's Pesticides Program Webpage

ODA's Pesticide Analytical and Response Center (PARC)

ODA's brochure with useful information outlining the investigative program 

For more information in Washington:

To file a complaint for pesticide misuse, contact the office nearest to you

You may also file a complaint concerning the misuse of a pesticide or licensing violation at any of the six Pesticide Compliance offices nearest you.

Be prepared to provide as much information as possible concerning the incident. It is also advised that you prepare a written statement concerning the incident as soon as possible. If your call is an emergency, please call the Olympia office.

Toll free statewide: 1-877-301-4555

Olympia (360)902-2040

Moses Lake(509) 766-2575

Spokane (509)533-2690

Wenatchee (509) 664-3171


For more information in Idaho:

Information on the process is here

For more information in Montana:

Montanta Department of Agriculture pesticide department repsonsibilities

Legal Assistance:

NCAP can not provide legal advice in dealing with aerial or other sprays, so we recommend you contact your local bar association if you want to pursue legal help. For Washington and Oregon:

Washington: http://www.wsba.org/ | 800.945.9722 | [email protected]
Oregon: http://www.osbar.org/public/ris/ | 800-452-7636

Where can I send samples for pesticide testing?

For human pesticide exposure testing, contact your primary healthcare provider.

To test food, vegetation, soil or water, Columbia Food Laboratories offers individual tests for over 550 different pesticides. They also have many multi-residue screens available. The Columbia Pesticide Profile is their most comprehensive multi-residue screen. They currently have two versions which include approximately 240 compounds (P2200) and 285 compounds (P2210). And, they have a new multi-residue screen (P7000) specifically for the National Organic Program's Target Pesticide List. Read more at: http://www.columbiafoodlab.com/services.htm

I found a bee hive on my property. What should I do?

Instead of killing bees from a bothersome hive, removal might be a great option for you. NCAP does not work directly with any bee removal companies, but a good resource to check is Bee Removal Source. They have an extensive list of resources organized by state. It's also helpful to identify the type of bee before contacting a bee removal company. Check our Bees & Wasps page to help with identification and other options for removing hives.

How do I get rid of fleas in my home?

Fleas are surely a nuisance for pets and people! Start by washing throw rugs and bedding weekly, use flea combs, vacuum, and apply nematodes to soil where your pets spend time. Read our fleas factsheet for more specific information and additional tips.

Where does NCAP work?

We are a regional organization with headquarters in Eugene, Oregon and remote staff working in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. We also work to impact stronger federal pesticide policy from a regional perspective.