You'll find us at the following upcoming events:
- Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 08:30 AM – June 15, 2017
- WSU Extension Building in Mt. Vernon, WA
- $25.00 USD
A Pest Management Workshop and Educational Tour/Demonstration
Wednesday and Thursday June 14-15, 2017
Join us for this workshop and educational tour/demonstration to learn approaches to manage common pests on nursery plants! This workshop and tour will train field and greenhouse growers in methods of biological control.
Topics include:Critical thinking for using biocontrol, new research, attracting beneficial insects, biocontrol application methods and timing, and question and answer panel.
Location:Washington State University Extension Building
16650 WA-536, Mount Vernon, WA 98273Driving directions: http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/driving-directions/
Price:Both Days for $65
Day 1 Only for $45
Day 2 Only (half day) for $25
Pre-register until one week before the event. Late Registration increases by $5 on June 7, and is only available based on space.
Price includes lunch on both days, including a taco bar and salads.
Day One Agenda (8:30am - 5:00pm):
- Biocontrols: What we can control/What we can’t
- Mites, thrips, aphids, gnats and weevils: What is working for growers
- Tutorial on using microscopes for identification
- Critical thinking for using biocontrol: Understanding your growing situation, what questions to ask a provider, fact from fiction
- Discussion Panel: Checking your spray records, Getting your team involved, How to market and motivate
- Crop Insurance Presentation
- Bug Out with Alison-Identification
- Local Nursery Tour with bio control demonstration, including microbial dip, nematode and banker plants
Day Two Agenda (8:30am - 1:30pm):
- Introduction to local resources: NCAP/WSLNA/ecoPro
- Solutions for Broad mites
- Update on new research-apply critical thinking
- Attracting beneficial insects
- Hands on application methods of biocontrol agents: When to apply, what temperature, and how
- Emerging Pest issues: What’s coming our way?
A Pollinator and Beneficial Insect Habitat Field Day
Where: St. John's Farm
Address: 2222 S Johns Ave, Emmett, ID 83617-9411
Date: July 18, 2017
Price: $30 ahead of time, $35 at the door
Features: Local organic Idaho fare- lunch, snacks, and drinks!
Sponsors: Natural Resources Conservation Service
Agenda:8:00 am – 8:15 am Welcome8:15 am – 9:45 am Habitat Assessment Demo9:45 am – 10:15 am NRCS Funding Talk10:15 am – 10:30 am Break + Set up for Solarization Demo10:30 am – 11:30 am Soil Solarization Demo11:30 am – 12:30 pm Lunch12:30 pm – 1:30 pm Native Plant Talk1:30 pm – 2:15 pm Beneficial Insect and Pollinator I.D. (A)2:15 pm – 2:30 pm Break + Evaluations2:30 pm – 2:50 pm Beneficial Insect and Pollinator I.D. (B)2:50 pm – 3:00 pm Conclude + Raffle
Last summer, NCAP partnered with St. John’s Organic Farm to solarize a grassy meadow at this site and sow it with wildflower seed. This summer, we’ll observe its progress during our day-long field day, in which we’ll cover everything you need to know to establish your own pollinator habitat! We’ll cover site assessment, funding, site preparation, native plant selection, and insect monitoring and identification. You’ll leave knowing everything you need to know to do it yourself!